Panama 3

In the 16th century, Spaniards came to the isthmus which was occupied by Kuna, Guaymí, Chocó, and other native groups. The population soon became mixed between Spanish and native ancestry. During colonial times, people from Africa were brought as slaves. They were also incorporated into the ethnic mix over time. During the 19th century, construction of the railroad brought in people from the United States, China, and France. During the construction of the canal, large numbers of people from the West Indes settled in Panama. The United States has influenced the economy and culture of Panama greatly. Most US citizens live in the canal area, and Panama City. Panama was also a haven for Spanish and Portuguese Jews fleeing the inquisition. While Spanish is the official language of Panama, mother tongues of the native Americans, and English are commonly spoken as well.

Recorded history of Panama begins with European exploration in 1501 with Spaniard Rodrigo de Bastidas, Juan de la Cosa, and Vasco Núṅez de Balboa exploring the Atlantic coast of the Isthmus of Panama. Colonization seems to have started right away, and it wasn't until 1821 that the colony seceded from Spain. In 1847, a transcontinental railroad was planned, although it was not operational until 1855.

Today we are exploring the deep, earthy flavors of Pu-erh tea. It is said to pair well with high fat foods. It is an aged black tea, and is an acquired taste. I will admit that I like my ginger Pu-erh best, but I do drink plain Pu-erh as well.


This chocolate brown tea has a stronger scent, and flavor.


The brewed tea also has a distinctive color, and seemingly thicker body. The flavor does take some getting used to, but it is well worth it.

Honest, this post was written well in advance of today, but I'm still a little late in posting this. I needed to go to town for groceries today, and left home basically as soon as I woke up (okay, I did get dressed first). I'm happy to report that the grocery stores actually had food today. I even saw a few coveted packages of toilet paper I was out so early...Hopefully life gets back to normal soon, but until then, I have to go order some tea because I'm running low and eating/drinking establishments are closed.

Comments

  1. I hope your order comes in! I miss grocery shopping. We've been ordering online and doing curbside delivery to help minimize the number of people we and the grocery workers have to come in contact with. It's always a surprise to find out what we'll actually get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my tea order did arrive a couple of days ago. I am enjoying it immensely. I recently discovered that the one grocery store in my county does deliver (they have expanded delivery dates and regions). I've never actually been to that store. It's easier for me to get groceries in the neighboring county. I should look into curbside pickup, but I do like to pick up my own things. Also, Aldi's doesn't offer curbside pickup. It's kind of strange wondering if I should go to the grocery store, and when. I think I can hold out for another week, but if I get sick, I would have to find someone to bring groceries to me... Strange times.

      Delete
    2. I'd probably still pick up my groceries if I were in rural Iowa, but my county has had 108 cases of the virus and two deaths as of Friday. Aldi here does offer delivery, but I haven't tried it yet.

      Delete
    3. The thing is, the demand for grocery pickup here is so great that there is a minimum 2 week waiting time to get a time slot. It's probably higher now. I haven't checked recently.

      Delete
    4. Woah! That would require some serious planning ahead. We have dozens of grocery stores, so if you don't like the wait time on one, you can always pick another. Most only have a two-day wait.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Equatorial Guinea

Afghani Pink Milk Tea (Qaimaq Chai)

Ataya/Waraga/Tuareg Tea