Eritrea

Eritrea

Today we visit the small country that was once part of Ethiopia. They gained their independence in 1993. Eritrea has a long coast on the Red Sea, and its name is an Italianized version of Mare Erythraeum - the Latin name for the Red Sea. 

Like I said in my Ethiopia post, the tea of these 2 countries is similar, but they used slightly different spices (in the resources I reviewed). For today's tea I used a generous cup (250 mL) water, 1 teaspoon of black tea, a green cardamom pod, a whole clove, and some pieces of cinnamon. 





I put the water on to boil while I cracked the cardamom pod and ground up the clove. When the water was just about boiling, I added everything, and let it simmer for 5 minutes. 















Here it is. Nice and hot (check out that steam rising off the cup). This tea has a pleasing level of spice. Black tea is not boring here. I like how the addition of different spices can make the same black tea into something different and special. It's a nice way to start a weekend morning, although I do admit that sometimes I add a tea ball of spices to the small teapot I use at my desk when I work at home. It's a fast, easy way to add a little more flavor to my plain tea on busy mornings. 

Comments

  1. I will admit that the tea in this part of Africa is fun to make. If you have to drink a lot of it every day, why not spice it up? People who post how to videos often comment about how everyone makes their tea just a little bit differently. I wonder if families can identify who made the tea by amount and kind of spices that are in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That wouldn't surprise me. People tend to have their own styles.

      Delete
    2. Kind of like making soup, is there liquid in it, or is it burned? :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Equatorial Guinea

Afghani Pink Milk Tea (Qaimaq Chai)

Ataya/Waraga/Tuareg Tea