Matcha

Matcha



Most people associate Matcha with Japan. This is the country where it originated. The highest grades of matcha are used for formal tea ceremonies, and the lowest grade is used in food. In my "travels", I've discovered that matcha is popular throughout Asia. I found this recipe under Singapore, and decided I wanted to try it as well. Since I've already done a post specifically about Singapore, I'm throwing this one in for fun.

Matcha is grown under increasing shade for a period of time before harvest. This makes the plant produce more chlorophyll and the leaves become darker. Then the leaves are steamed, dried, and ground into a fine powder.


Unlike other teas, you don't strain matcha out, you consume the leaf.

As a side note, there are several bagged teas on the US market that contain matcha. I'm always a bit confused as to why they are using it as an infusion, and not just using regular green tea. I have a feeling that it has something to do with the health halo that matcha has been given, even though the health benefits are thought to come from consuming the leaf, not just soaking it in water and throwing it out.





I started with a teaspoon in the bottom of my "cup". I usually see matcha being made in little bowls, so I chose the best approximation of size and shape from my cupboard.












I added a dribble of water to start making a paste.












Yeah, I haven't sprung for the fancy bamboo whisk yet (and I probably won't).












Then I added some more water and stirred.











The video I was watching said to add soy milk, but I'm supposed to avoid soy, so I used almond milk. Check out those lovely bubbles! I will admit that they all came from the almond milk because I only had a tiny bit left in the carton. Matcha is traditionally served with tiny bubbles covering the surface - that's why the use the bamboo whisk. According to westerners who have tested the technique, neophytes are better off using a hand held beverage frother than trying to get the same effect with a whisk.



It's a pleasant flavor. It also helped me understand the flavor of the matcha pocky sticks I tried one time. From the vibrant green color of the teas I've seen in some videos, it also appears that matcha is served iced, and with sweetened condensed milk. There's much more to matcha than tea ceremonies, and desserts.

Comments

  1. We must think alike! I thought "Health halo!" a second before I read that you thought the same thing.
    That's pretty fabric in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that fabric in my old quilting stash.
      Sometimes I wonder how long it will take before all unprocessed fruits and vegetables will end up being declared super foods. Now if people could just figure out how to consume them in forms other than juice or smoothies. It was kind of hard to find matcha without other additives to "put in your smoothies"

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Equatorial Guinea

Afghani Pink Milk Tea (Qaimaq Chai)

Ataya/Waraga/Tuareg Tea