Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka is a small island, formerly known as Ceylon, near the southern tip of India. About 1/3 of the island was reported to be covered by native forest, and the majority of the population lives in rural areas.

I'll admit that I wasn't sure about the tea video I found for this country, but I decided to give it a try.

Yes, that's powdered milk. In this part of the world, powdered milk is not known for its great taste. In fact, it has a reputation of being pretty bad. I have learned that other parts of the world have powdered milk that includes milk fat, but I still live in a country that is obsessed with the idea of a low fat diet so this is what I can get.

The instructions say to make strong, black tea, so I'm using 2 tea bags. You could also use a nice, loose tea, but I'm not feeling that ambitious this morning. They also say to use ginger powder, so I'm hoping that this will also help cover up the dry milk flavor.

I brewed the tea in a separate container, then added a tablespoon of dry milk to my cup, along with a generous shake of powdered ginger, and mixed them together. Then I added the tea, and mixed again to release any pockets of dry milk.

The verdict? It was okay. I could smell the dry milk a little when I first made it, but the scent seemed to dissipate after sitting a couple of minutes. I did drink the whole cup, and would be willing to make it again. The ginger flavor was much more intense in the bottom of the cup, but that's normal when you put powdered spices in your tea. I keep dry milk in the house for baking so I don't have to bother with scalding milk, and there is enough other stuff in the recipe to cover up the flavor. It seems to be the same principal for using it in tea. Make sure you have enough other flavors to cover up the "off" flavor of dry milk. I can see how this would be really helpful in a tropical climate. 

Comments

  1. You can get whole milk powder on Amazon. It's not cheap, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised. While Amazon keeps trying to sell itself as an easy way to buy the basics without going to a store, it is cheaper to actually go to a store.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Equatorial Guinea

Afghani Pink Milk Tea (Qaimaq Chai)

Ataya/Waraga/Tuareg Tea