Thailand

Thailand

Thailand (previously known as Siam) is located in southeast Asia between Cambodia, Laos, and Myanmar. I'll admit that the name "Siam" has me immediately thinking of "The King and I" (the 1956 version - I thought of linking a video clip, but it is such a painfully bad movie, I just can't do it). The movie is accurate in the fact that it is wholly in the tropical region, and that the majority of people are Buddhist. Beyond that, well, not so much. Another interesting fact I found was that this country was never under colonial rule during its history. 

Like many other countries in the region, teh tarik is popular. While they do prefer to serve it iced (since they live somewhere quite warm), that's not a terribly big difference from the basic recipe. Whenever I find that this is listed as a popular way to serve tea, I immediately start looking to see if there are other ways they like to serve their tea. I was lucky with Thailand, and found that they also liked iced black tea with lime. The woman on the video said that you can order it hot instead of iced, although everyone would act like you were crazy. Since I live in the Midwest, and it's still winter, I am crazy, so we're serving it hot!


Yes, it's just that simple. If you want it iced, steep some black tea powder with a slice of lime for 3 minutes, then strain over ice. As always, you add sugar to taste. Since I wanted mine hot, I just let the lime hang out in my cup.

Comments

  1. Lime is a great garnish, even if lemon is more popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have come to appreciate lime (especially grated ginger, and lime juice over cooked carrots or steamed fish. Stir-fry with soy sauce, lime juice, and ginger as a sauce). Plus, limes also cheaper than lemons.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Equatorial Guinea

Afghani Pink Milk Tea (Qaimaq Chai)

Ataya/Waraga/Tuareg Tea