Bhutan

Bhutan

As we come off of one of the coldest spring seasons on record, I'm making winter tea from Bhutan. Bhutan is located on the eastern ridges of the Himalayas, and is better known for yak butter tea, but I have no yaks to milk to make butter, so I'm going with an alternate tea recipe. This is a milk tea with cinnamon, cloves, and black pepper. 

In reality, I just crushed up one peppercorn because a little pepper tends to go a long way. I used all 3 cloves I had, a cinnamon stick, and 2 bags of black tea. I put my crushed pepper and cloves in the tea ball because all of my tea strainers are currently occupied with other teas that have one or 2 more brews left in them. (yes, I'm obsessed). 

Anyway, I used 1 cup (about 250 mL) of water, and simmered the tea and spices for a few minutes. Then I added a cup (250 mL) of milk, and brought it back to a simmer for a few minutes. 

The result was a mildly spicy, milky tea. It was very good on a cold morning. I actually thought that I could put a little more pepper in it. I really didn't get the heat and snap from pepper, but it is a tricky ingredient to use in tea. I'm still trying to get the hang of using the correct amount. It is a nice tea for a cold morning, but I'm hoping that some day I will need a nice tea for a warm morning. 

Comments

  1. And here I was looking forward to the video of you milking a yak. Darn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could always start a fund for me to travel there and learn to milk a yak. I would certainly take a video for you in that situation :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Equatorial Guinea

Afghani Pink Milk Tea (Qaimaq Chai)

Ataya/Waraga/Tuareg Tea