Bangladesh

Today we travel to south central Asia. Bangladesh is in the northeast of the Indian sub-continent. It is mostly bordered by India with a small border along Myanmar. It is a small country with seasonal floods. Their wildlife includes elephants, Bengal tigers, common leopards, cloud leopards, leopard cats, bears, mongoose, monkeys, and many varieties of birds. Bangladesh also has a very dense human population, and those humans like tea.

The video I found about how to make tea in Bangladesh shows that they set themselves apart. We have the usual ingredients: water, milk, tea, cardamom...
... and an egg.

Specifically, an egg yolk. 




Nothing like a tea recipe with the potential of little bits of scrambled egg in it. I took my whisking seriously. Instead of using cardamom pods, I used ground cardamom and bagged black tea because I was afraid of what I would find if I strained the tea. In addition to what I used, sugar is a popular addition, and I was trying to figure out if lemongrass was also used sometimes. Anyway, I used 2 bags of black tea since this was a thick base to be brewing in.





My finished product didn't really look or taste like tea. When I looked back at my instructions, it said to boil until the tea turned dark, which I did not do. It is a thicker tea, reminiscent of a thin custard. I didn't end up with any big egg chunks in it, and the cardamom lent a subtle sweetness to the drink. I could see this being a very satisfying snack during a busy day.

Comments

  1. At least you weren't supposed to drink the egg raw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen that variation yet.

      Delete
    2. There are plenty of old drink recipes that call for raw eggs-- especially diet drinks and drinks for kids.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Equatorial Guinea

Afghani Pink Milk Tea (Qaimaq Chai)

Ataya/Waraga/Tuareg Tea