Social tea times (British tea 2)

British tea has a reputation for snacks and ceremony.. Today, we're taking a look at these British tea times with an article from NPR.

First up is elevenses. I've heard reference to this in British TV shows. Apparently it's also known as the hobbit's third meal. I'll admit, I never really got into all of the stories about hobbits aside from listening to my 5th grade teacher recite "The Hobbit".(as an aside, people who are into the hobbit stories are really impressed by my teacher being able to recite the story for the class). Back to tea, apparently elevenses is a 20th century construct. Basically, it seems to be tea and cookies (as spoken by someone who rarely eats cookies). I'll take the tea thank you.

Next up is afternoon tea. This emerged as a social event in the 1830's or 40's. A member of queen Victoria's court, Anna Maria Russel, duchess of Bedford, is credited with starting afternoon tea. This was usually had around 3 or 4 in the afternoon while the aristocrats whiled away the hours between lunch and their evening meal. This is the tea everyone thinks of with the dainty finger sandwiches, and sweets. Manners were really important during these afternoon tea sessions, and both women and men were judged by their movement and behavior during these sessions.

High tea was a different affair. High tea originated from the lower classes. Since they did not get an afternoon lunch break, they ate after work, choosing to pair their tea with meats, pies, and cheese. The true tell of an American tourist is that they ask for high tea mid afternoon, and try to hold their pinkie fingers up while drinking.

And now for a couple of totally unrelated turtle pictures because it's summer, and I actually saw a turtle on the trail the other day. I didn't think I would see any turtles given how full the lily pond is, and how overgrown it is getting. Then I saw something shiny on the trail. Really shiny, wet shiny,  dome shaped, and moving slowly. Little Ms or Mr turtle did not seem to be thrilled with getting their picture taken, but they were cold enough that they didn't want to get out of the sun either. This is also the convoluted way I've figured out for getting pictures off of my phone and onto my computer.



Comments

  1. Hey, little turtle! It's always a thrill to see one up close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that you would enjoy the random turtle pic. It's rare to see one this close. They are usually quick to jump off the log way out in the pond when I stop to look at them.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Equatorial Guinea

Afghani Pink Milk Tea (Qaimaq Chai)

Ataya/Waraga/Tuareg Tea