Canada

Today we travel to Canada. Given their more northerly position, it's only appropriate that we visit them on a cold, snowy day. Canada is second in size to Russia, and occupies the northern 2/5 of the North American continent. It is also one of the most sparsely populated countries with large expanses of forests and natural terrain. The majority of the population lives within 185 miles of the boarder (presumably southern boarder since the Yukon territory boarders Alaska, and I think that is the least densely populated province). Canada contains some familiar things, like the northern part of the Appalachian mountains. I don't know that they are known for deep poverty in Canada like they are here. There are also the Canadian Rockies which I have flown over.

The southernmost point of Canada is Middle Island in lake Erie. I had to do a little more research on this island since I've never heard of it. It's about half way between Kelley's island (US), and Pelee island (Canada). As it turns out, the only evidence of human habitation are the ruins of a few buildings, and the foundation of a lighthouse. While it was privately owned by the US for many years, it was eventually purchased by Canada, and is now a wildlife refuge. It sounds like Middle Island was only really important during prohibition. While it was a very small island, apparently law enforcement never thought to target it for all of the illegal alcohol that was being smuggled from Canada.

I do know the eastern part of Canada for some of the European tragedies that played out there, like the Franklin Expedition, and the Titanic body recovery.  I also like the findings that Vikings explored Canada long before Europeans discovered the North American continent.

While I grew up in an area where you could faintly see Canada on the horizon, and occasionally receive Canadian TV shows over the air waves (my French was never good enough to understand those shows), I've never been there. The villages where I live now do have a connection to Canada. When this group first moved to the US in the early 1840's, they bought some forest land in Canada. When they moved to their current location, they had those pine forests cut down and shipped here to make up for the lack of native lumber to build to the scale they wanted. I've sat on Canadian pine benches, and walked on Canadian pine floors. I really wonder where the floor in my current apartment came from. In the state where I live now, everyone thinks of the boundary waters as the area where someone might have grown up near Canada. While I've never been to the boundary waters, that's where today's tea comes from. These packets of tea were given to me by a friend who had a mother-in-law who lived up there. She preferred Canadian tea, specifically Red Rose tea. While I don't have a picture of the packaging, I've seen it in stores before. It is a white box with a big red rose on it.








Behold. Tea bags, of the string-less variety.













I ended up making this brew really strong. I don't know that Canadians drink their tea this strong, but it was one of those days. Anyway, red rose tea is a black tea if you haven't noticed. I know that I can at least find something to drink if I ever go to Canada.

Comments

  1. I just wish it were rose season (rather than wind chill season)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I. I had to go to the grocery store today. It's not so bad out if you are wearing thermals, sweat pants, wind pants, a heavy down coat, balaclava, wool lined flannel hat with furry ear flaps...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Equatorial Guinea

Afghani Pink Milk Tea (Qaimaq Chai)

Ataya/Waraga/Tuareg Tea